Gazette photographer Anthony Wahl uses a DJI Phantom 4 Pro to capture images and videos from aloft.
Wahl has been Part 107 certified with the Federal Aviation Administration since 2016 for commercial use of a drone, including journalism. Certification requires passing a test covering basic knowledge of airspace and aeronautics. suncity also has met with law enforcement agencies in Rock County to discuss our drone policy and best practices.
Federal regulations prohibit:
- Commercial use of UAVs weighing more than 55 pounds
- Drone flight above 400 feet in most cases
- Night flight
- Flights over people not involved in the operation of the drone
- Reckless or careless operation
- Flight in restricted airspace without permission (airspace restrictions vary based on size and location of an airport)
- Flight beyond the operator’s visual line of sight
If you have any questions, call the photo desk at 608-755-8233 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.